Monday 4 October 2010

Snowboarding Brief

So for one of the briefs I will be focussing specifically on snowboarding.
I intend for this brief to be based on designing artwork for snowboards. From here I want to then take the designs over a range, as vast as possible.
Took me some time to come up with some sort of theme or idea to base the designs on rather than just make pretty images, but I think I found a decent concept.

The pro team for K2 Snowboards, there is seven of them mixture of male & female. On the team website each rider has a profile and over their photo is a quote. So the brief, in a nutshell, is to design board artwork for the 7 K2 riders.


Example of the quotes on the website, situated just under the lads name.

Below - One of the first goes at designing the artwork, Typography led, as all of my work shall be. I've tried this kind of type before but it wasn't overly successful so I thought to try it here and see what happened. Considering this is just an initial idea.


Thought it looked alright, something that I thought could look proper good as a series, which it would become. Went on to try this with all of the quotes...


Came out with these, I took them to people around the studio see if they could clearly read them or not. What I got back was a mixed review, some could read them pretty quickly others took a while but got there and some just got words wrong all over the shop!
Needless to say they need more work! One thing that cropped up a few times was that my style of an ampersand looked more like a B. I found this a shame as I really liked the body 0f the letter, quite interesting! But if it doesn't read it don't read. So this needed solving, furthermore I thought my first drawing of, "Follow your heart" didn't quite match the others so I will also need to look at that again...






Here are the newer versions, quite funny really as when I went to change the ampersand I realised I've always lacked the ability to draw / write a standard one - & - Just never proper tried. So after drawing a load of them out I finally got to the ones above. I think it's very clear its an ampersand so I'm happy with that.

With these drawings I really want to vectorise them and play with the words to make it look very plastic / cartoony / 3D, from looking at some work by Jared Nickerson and Short ( Design Context ) think a similar style could work well. So that is my next step, well after playing a lil bit with the quotes, making sure they read correctly.

Apologies for the clipping of some of the drawings, foolishly did them bigger than A3.







No comments:

Post a Comment