Saturday 23 October 2010

Web Worksop

Found this week quite difficult. Seemed to go quite fast and a lot of the stuff went over my head.
Went into the session with my proposed website design which I thought was fairly simple however it slowly seemed harder to re-create as the workshop went on.
Firstly I used Photoshop to create the mock up with all the assets and it seemed as though I should have created it in Illustrator, all on seperate layers. So I fell behind from there.
Learnt a few things though,

. When working for web, have all the assets saved out separately , making sure each asset has a tight frame.
. Save each button twice, one normally and the other saved out to be what it looks like when selected / rolled over.
. Have all measurements down. Each asset, specific sizes (frame)
. Save assets as PNG, making sure they have a quick loading time for web. (Save for web & device)
. Have all colour codes down and specified.

A few things I found from the session,

. I can't have the colour I originally chose as it isn't web-safe apparently. Yet to find a similar one, I think its because the colour I chose was a tone of a colour, well had an opacity setting of 10%.
. As the workshop went on I found that I didn't want to include a lot of coded design, in terms of writing out the copy in Dreamweaver, instead it would all be images / assets. This way I could have any colour and more importantly any typeface I want.
The problem with this is that my site won't be web searchable. As it is the copy put directly into Dreamweaver that something like google uses to find sites. To counter this I came up with inserting the same text as I have in the asset, say the about me section,
'Graphic designer, from Leeds' or something! But yeah inserting this but as the same colour as the background so you cant see it but still web-searchable! This however causes another problem! Having floating things on top of each other. This is possible Simon told me but I've no idea how to do so at the moment.

.Gosh web is confusing!


What I want...




What I came out with...


Very, very, very slowly getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment