Tuesday 30 November 2010

Shaun Mckay

The next illustration for Shaun McKay took me a fair while. The first obstacle was the colour. Looking through images and photos of McKay I first wanted to have a pattern fill, red and white criss cross style of thing, However due to the way in which I was creating the highlights and shadow It wouldn't have worked very well. So with this in mind I experimented and played with these colours seeing if it worked in anyway...




Again playing with using two layers, I wasn't feeling the colours up until this point, so bearing in mind what the illustrations are for and the others which are quite intensely coloured I started to play with using a more coral red and an orange.
Then from finding a good mixture of colour, and adding another layer to create the illusion of light coming down onto the drawing, by having shade on the bottom of the design, adding the high and low lights.

Getting it to a finished state...



Then spending time working on a logo to go with the illustration...


The k's are quite easy to do as they can look strong and easily identifiable whether the strokes are rounded or very straight, wheras the 2 is the hard bit, but finally got it to a point that I was very happy with.


No comments:

Post a Comment