Tuesday 2 November 2010

Brief Two

Logo development - Rawree

This is one day development I went through for one of the four DJ's I am designing for, I only had a couple of drawings when I picked this up in the morning, I had hoped to get the logo done by mid afternoon, however it took the majority of the day to complete.

Starting with drawing out my main ideas for the logo, working with perspective drawing. Compared to Tigger, Rawree is a bit more well, raw, bit more grimey so I wanted the logo to represent this and not be as fun and bright as what I designed for Tigger. Furthermore Rawree's kind if slogan / tag-line is Bass In Your Face. This is what I want the logo to represent.






Developing my drawings by taking them into Illustrator and then spending a lot of time testing different ideas, dropping them, trying something new and then inevitably returning to the first idea.











As you can see my concentration was on the idea of the two R's I felt that in certain compositions they were very strong and easily recognisable. As the R is hand drawn its unique (There will no doubt be block typefaces with similar R's but none the less its essentially 'original') This was part of the design that didn't change throughout most of my ideas, once I had vectored the letter.
The problem came with whether to include the name, if i did was I to use Rawree, my made up version of his actual name, Rory. The DJ himself didn't mind and left it up to me to decide which might have hindered me a bit, showing that some restrictions / guidelines are good to have in briefs.
The problem I found was creating the rest of the letters for Rory / Rawree in a similar and complimenting style. Felt that the other letters I made just didn't sit right, this taking some time to try and perfect each letter.
Still developing the letters I went on and tried some variations in style and composition.




At first I thought I was onto a winner but from having a cheeky break and coming back to them I found that they really didn't connote the tag-line, Bass in Your Face. I did however feel they looked and fit well within music culture the problem being that the designs looked more like Rory was a house / minimal tech DJ not jump up madness.
Back I went...
Carried on with some of my previous ideas...




Concentrated for a bit on really nailing the typeface, making sure it was even throughout and looked as though it was part of the same set.


Finally coming to this design,



Having spent a lot of time on the type I feel it is at it's strongest here. The 'w' being the same as the 'e' something which I had thought I had done well early on but turns out I hadn't!
It had got to about 7pm when i finished this, i was hungry and getting to the stage where the screen was hurting my eyes and I didn't feel completely confident with the end product I had so decided to do one, sent it along with some of the other ideas to Rory / Rawree and Josh the record label owner in order to get their feedback.
Had some dinner at home then got back on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment