Thursday 4 November 2010

Brief Three

Finally got round to getting stuck in with the design for my third brief, Flyer esqué holiday brochure for Snowbombing festival.
Made the decision that I will just design it to begin as though it was going to be a small piece of editorial, simply binded together. This way I can get the design done fairly quickly compared to faffing about with the format and what it could be, once i have the content down it will be quite easy to take it over various ideas and sizes.
Instead of starting with the cover I thought I'd go straight for the first proper page, the 'about' section...



I want to keep within the existing look of Snowbombing, reasons being so it looks apart of the festival and the colours are probably the best ones you could choose for such an event. Leaving me with a two colour scheme, light pastel blue & black, however using a variety of tones within these colours.
I'm aiming for a publication that is highly type based ruling out the issue of getting high quality images. I do however have a contact from Snowbombing due to the live work I did for them and am waiting to hear back from them about them sending me a load of images and logos to use.
Other than that my general concept for the design of it is to have the essential info and more, with the general theme being to have a quote shown on each page relating to the subject of the it.
After experimenting and general playing i came out with this as a final design for the 'about' page...


Making the page look more official by snatching the sponsors from the website and banging them on here along with the website. This being on one page on every double page spread.
I've used Bebas Neue once again, becoming some what of a regular occurance, but I just really like it. Very even, condensed, strong, slightly bold but not too bold typeface! Furthermore using a condensed typeface I find is useful with editorial as you can fit more words in or larger phrases, still having them large and keeping a sense of space. I don't want to cram the pages and make it look uncomfortable and uninviting to read.
From creating this I then created the page next to it in terms of print. When printed it shall be folded and not seen together. But yeah from getting a good idea of the style by having the first page done, it speeds up the process of creating the others.


Obviously made the pages with a grid, experimented with them to begin, playing with different ones, various amounts of columns and the size of margins etc


Finally coming to this grid, 12mm margins top and bottom, 16mm side margins, 8 columns with 3mm gutter. I've used this grid purely for the type, the block colour / background spills over the grid on the sides thus giving the type more of a cushion within the grid, creating more white / spare space.


So to carry on with creating the pages. I imagine that I will encounter problems on the way and designing the next double page spreads i may come up with new better ideas and so these pages may change and evolve with the new ones to come. But I want the pages to run to a template, Title of the page at the top aligned left all at the same height, quick intro explanation to the page directly underneath this, ( this space will become larger depending on how big the intros get with the other pages). Onwards and upwards.



No comments:

Post a Comment