Saturday 20 November 2010

Illustrations

Finally got back to the world of blogging, been a bit slack of late due to being deep within the process of designing and general life getting in the way.
Here are the drawings I've been steadily working on for the snowboard artwork.
From fully developing one of my first illustrations I realised that my other initial designs needed tweaking. Furthermore I thought I would try and customize each phrase with extra bits of design which would be related to the specific rider in question.
Some are more obvious than others, taking the Chocolate & Wine for example, the drips are more specific to the subject of the quote and style of the lettering. Whereas others are more directed at various aspects of the rider, things I recognised about them from doing research on them. What they wear / ride etc.

Here documenting the process I went through to produce the designs...

Firstly writing out the quote in the general layout I wanted, then just making the letters thicker, dominant and more than not enlarging,


Then, for this quote, draw each letter out in full using the above as the skeleton for it,


Then creating one outer line, forming the body for the actual design, adding the islands to form definition of the letter forms.
From this stage then adding the other outer lines then highlights. It would be during this process that I would be thinking of what and where I can customise.


Again, pretty much the same process however this one being a lot quicker. And evidence of the customisation


Finalised illustrations for the seven quotes.
With time ticking away and talking to fred, I've decided to only develop 4 more illustrations fully, leaving me with 5 final finished board designs. This way I can choose the best from the following designs ending up with a stronger set and also save me some time with finishing this brief.

FINAL 7 ILLUSTRATIONS






No comments:

Post a Comment