Tuesday 7 December 2010

Typography feedback

The day before going to print I took the final DPS's to Graham and told him simply, tell me whats shit about it! He had a field day, the swine.
Over the following discussion a few areas of concern were discussed, coming out with positive solutions, which was nice.
To start with something positive Graham mentioned how the style of and look of it was good, strong and effective towards my target audience. However there were concerns and certain issues to talk of:

Firstly, when I told him I planned to print on sugar paper he basically said that a lot of the text will be hard to read, concerning the light tones of colour, reversing the type out the size and typeface of the copy are all in such a style that they reduce a % of legibility. Apparently you lose 10% with small size (8pt) lose another 20% with reversing out, 10% on pale colour, in other words there wasn't a chance this was going to work in sense of something to be read easily.

This was overcome with advice from Graham, to slightly increase pt size / leading and darken the background colour. Finding a compromise concerning all these would hopefully keep my wanted style and similar layout but keeping it easy to read.

Graham also had beef with my grid system, I was using a 8 column grid per page, 12mm side margins with 16mm top and bottom margins. The text because of this all looked a bit hefty to one side of the page, this needing to be sorted. Considering I didn't have too much text this grid was deemed far too much, and if anything pointless for anything.Instead I should be using 2 / 3 / 5 column. Graham went further to say that I clearly had a good eye and to just rely on that and not use a grid as such, this was lovely news! I don't need no grids, bitch!

The front page was commented on, being asked what days am I going for? Which was a really good question, as I didn't actually have a clue what it was. This being because Snowbombing don't include it in any of their design / promo work. So I could get on that, producing some clever more informative design that what is already out there.

Lastly the way I had gone about laying out the copy, Graham dropped a bollock. I had messed about with the alignment and I had got rid of all hyphenations manually, which was very silly of me to do as there is a button that does it for you. Me doing it however screwed all the text right up! So I also had to go away and change that!

Thankfully the following day the print room was closed, but saying that I wouldnt have been able to print it since I needed to drastically change it essentially.

What I also foolishly did was to design the document in A4 even though I was never going to design it to that scale. So I had to take my designs to a different size format anyway, but now this shall take a lot longer as I have to re-organise everything essentially!

The new paper size being 230mm x 335mm, this being a perfect size to fit inside the Metro comfortably, the poster dimensions also being founded by this, as it has to fit inside the booklet, inside the newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment