Wednesday 28 April 2010

Statement of Intent

Rationale (200 words)



I want to create pieces of design that are typographically based whether it be in the form of editorial, or in the form of type as image. This is what i am mostly interested in and enjoy working with, this means when working with what i am interested in i become a lot more comfortable and the end result should represent this. Although I do prefer working with type using image is not a problem for me.

I want to work with content that I like and am fond of, in a perfect world i would only work for companies within the music industry (specifically for labels and brands within alternative and electro music) & the ski and snowboard industry. Besides design these are my two other passions in life and if i were to work within these fields of business my passion for the three areas would result in success, I believe.

Furthermore as the industry of skiing and boarding is a seasonal thing it would essentially allow me to split my year into two. During the season I could work within the industry and during summer i could turn my attention onto designing for music, for example designing work for the many music festivals around the UK or even worldwide.



Statement of Intent (200 words)



Product/

Produce a new logo as part of a visual identity.


Range/

Various exciting & innovative applications of the logo, taken to different environments and media.


Distribution/

The distribution of the product is essentially the range as taking it to various contexts reaching new people and new places.


I intend to produce a new logo as part of a visual identity, then take this logo into various applications. These applications will range from promotional materials to websites, seeing how the logo works across a range of media, furthermore taking a more innovative approach to getting the logo out into the world and different environments.




Primary Research


Do my best to get in touch with the management of the record label. By having direct contact with the client i can make sure i know exactly what they want, find out their specific values and beliefs and how they want to be seen. By doing so I can then portray the label correctly. Get a clear understanding and knowledge of the signed artists, again with this knowledge it will help me to design appropriately and effectively.



Secondary Research


Find any existing designs that already exist for the record label, is it effective and is it appropriate?

Collect any and all existing artwork for all of the signed artists. From this I can find how they are being portrayed and get hopefully get a good idea of how they want to be portrayed. Research into existing record label logos and visual identities, ones of similar genre and non similar. Get a good understanding of whats out there, what works and why, what doesn't work and why.



Practical Development


I will use constant research and analytical methods to gain an idea of what i need and could do, aswell as idea generation and design development skills. Making use of already known knowledge on software, Adobe Creative Suite. I also intend to make use of the Flash workshops currently working and if appropriate make some animations with the designed logo.



Recording


I will document my design process on my blog, using it as a means to record all my work and self evaluate it, thus understanding what needs to be done next.





www.mta.co.uk

www.giveupart.com

www.myspace.com

www.hospitalrecords.com

www.codaagency.com

No comments:

Post a Comment