Sunday 11 April 2010

Collaboration Evaluation.

Rhyming is fun.

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have

applied them?


I feel i have developed my typographical skills through the collaboration. As i was reliable for any type within the project, a fair amount of my time was spent playing and experimenting with typography, specifically the use of type alongside imagery. I feel that I used my skills in type effectively to portray our message / tag-line in the right way.

I also feel that my skills in coming up with tag-lines were tested and developed, through research into tag-lines as a hole i also feel more knowledgeable about them. The application of this i found hard, however through communication with my partner i feel we got it down to the best we could.

Another skill i have developed is thinking conceptually, coming up with bigger and bolder ideas. However the application of this through the module was put to one side after various crits and joint decisions made with my partner.




What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your

design development process?


I feel as though my methods of research have vastly improved, taking a more keen interest in what already exists in terms of design. Looking at such examples that greatly relates to the work I am producing and others that don’t.

This helped inform our design development in terms of style and possibilty. Although i feel that, that part of research was successful our knowledge on the BME itself wasn’t what it could have been if we had visited, or if it was a more established attraction. With a vaster knowledge our whole design development process may have been a whole lot easier.




What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?


One strength i felt i showed was my on-going documentation of the collaboration and work produced on my blog, This helped clarify what we had done and at what stage i was at, however even with this the project did get a little lost along the way. I do feel without it though i would have been really rather lost.

Another strength i can identify is my perseverance, as we found more and more problems and our ideas fell apart i feel i showed some strength in carrying on and finding a resolution we could produce within the deadline.

In the work produced i feel the typography is quite strong and dominant, this being due i feel to the partnership, having someone else with an eye and mind for good type helped me to sort out the experimentation and design development. I plan to capitalise on this by referring to my partner or other like people on any type decisions.





What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?


I think one main weakness within my work was that it wasn’t strong enough to be a portfolio piece yet not strong enough to win the competition. I think the cause of this was that as a partnership we didn’t fully decide on what we wanted to get from the project as a whole. Winning wasn’t a main concern for us however we wanted to make something quite exciting and conceptually based, which didn’t lean to the end product being portfolio worthy. To address this and stop it from occurring again I always need to establish what i want from the project.





Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing

these?


. Figure out exactly what i want to get out of the project. This hopefully realising my full potential


. Gain as much knowledge as possible on the subject i am designing for. Thus resulting in something that represents the subject truthfully

. Maintain the process of research throughout the entire project

. Document my design process as fully and clearly as possible on my blog, as to do my best not to get lost on the way, keeping it apparent what i have done so far and what i need to do.

. Keep the shit fun. Feedback i got back from a California based designer. Works for me!






Attendance 5

Punctuality 4

Motivation 4

Commitment 4

Quantity of work produced 4

Quality of work produced 3

Contribution to the group 3



No comments:

Post a Comment